General description of the functions of the Department for the Protection of the Interests of the Republic Armenia in International Arbitration and Foreign Courts
The Department for the Protection of the Interests of the Republic of Armenia in International Arbitration and Foreign Courts, which operates under the Office of the Representative on International Legal Matters (“Department”), within its functions represents the Republic of Armenia in the framework of international investment and commercial arbitration cases, as well as legal proceedings before foreign courts.
To achieve its goals and objectives, the Department performs several functions in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Armenia within the framework of international arbitration and foreign court proceedings where the Republic of Armenia is a party. These functions include:
- carrying out and coordinating the work of protecting the interests of the Republic of Armenia, both independently and with the help of international legal consultants and/or legal offices, experts, and other stakeholders.
- carrying out and coordinating the work of protecting the interests of the Republic of Armenia, both independently and/or as necessary in collaboration with international legal counsel and/or law firms, experts, and managing such cooperation;
- collecting documents within each case;
- cooperating with state and local self-government bodies;
- managing and implementing the dispute resolution through negotiation or mediation;
- ensuring the participation of the Republic of Armenia in international fora and working groups regarding international law;
- performing various routine tasks on a daily basis.
Brief description of the cases in international arbitration and foreign courts
Regarding international arbitration cases with the participation of the Republic of Armenia, the following is a summary of the pending and concluded cases:
- one pending investment arbitration case;
- four concluded investment arbitration cases;
- one pending and one concluded annulment proceeding;
- one pending commercial arbitration case.
Additionally, there are currently two court cases in foreign courts where the Republic of Armenia is a party.